Manchester United issued a statement after Mason Greenwood was charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and ABH

Read Also: Wayne Rooney describes Ronaldo as annoying team mate

The 21-year-old ace was suspended after three nights in detention in January following a police raid on his Bowdon, Greater Manchester, home.

The club said in a statement: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service.

“He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”

Read Also: Carlos Queiroz (Ex-Man Utd No 2) reveals ‘truth’ behind Fergie and Becks and why David Beckham was sold to Real Madrid

The charges against Greenwood for attempted rape, ABH, and coercive and controlling behaviour were officially announced by the police yesterday.

It happens after he was arrested Saturday morning on the grounds that he may have been in touch with his claimed victim.

The Greater Manchester Police were then given permission by the Crown Prosecution Service to charge the football player.

On Monday, Greenwood will appear in front of the magistrates in Greater Manchester.

The alleged crimes are said to have been committed against one woman between December 1, 2018, and October 15, 2022.

On October 21, 2021, Greenwood is said to have tried to rape the alleged victim after nearly four years of coercive control.

Read Also: Tv host kate abdo destroys micah richards on camera.

Additionally, on December 12 and December 31, 2021, he allegedly assaulted her.

Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West, Janet Potter stated: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

“All three counts relate to the same complainant.

“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”

Manchester United said in a statement: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service.

“He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”

Since being arrested for the first time in January of this year, the striker has been waiting to learn his destiny.

Read Also: Sadio mane replies jurgen klopp’s message amid liverpool slow start

He was detained for three nights after being taken into custody at his leased house in Bowdon, Greater Manchester.

Greenwood was granted bail on February 2 and has maintained a low profile ever since.

He was supposed to answer his bail on April 30, but after a court hearing in June, the date was postponed.

While the striker is still on Utd’s suspension list, he continues to be paid his £75,000 weekly wage while any criminal investigations are ongoing.

The club had previously been compelled to issue a statement reiterating that Greenwood’s status had not changed.

Utd first declared it did “not condone violence of any kind,” but after police opened an investigation, Greenwood was suspended.

However, several sharp-eyed supporters noticed the player was still visible on the team’s website, sparking rumours that he may be reinstated.

Read Also: Cristiano Ronaldo hit back at Wayne Rooney

MANCHESTER UNITED STATEMENT

The statement from Utd read: “There has been no change whatsoever in Mason’s status.

“We removed his profile from the club app soon after he was removed from the squad in January.

“This was in order to remove Mason from interactive elements of the app, such as team predictions etc.

“However, his profile was never removed from the website as he remains a Manchester United player, albeit not currently part of the squad while the legal process unfolds.”

Read Also: The ‘Aaron Ramsey curse’ struck again

Following the charges, Greenwood was removed by sponsors Nike and was expelled from FIFA 22.

His absence from the game has also been verified by Football Manager 2022.

The official United website has removed any memorabilia featuring the No. 11’s name, and teammates have unfollowed him on Instagram. The bright domestic and international career of Greenwood is still in danger.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here