Following the star’s exoneration for raping women at his mansion, Manchester City has issued a statement regarding Benjamin Mendy.

Read Also: Jack Butland’s deleted tweet comes back to haunt him after a loan move to Man Utd

Mendy was cleared of raping the ladies at the lockdown-busting gatherings.

The Manchester City player was alleged to be a “predator” who “turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game.”

Mendy, 28, is also accused of hiding his victims’ phones and locking them in a “panic room” to prevent them from escaping.

Read Also: Four (4) ways of taking care of your skin in 2023.

But recent verdict exonerated the French international of six rapes and one sexual assault against four women.

On one accusation of attempted rape and one count of rape against two additional alleged victims, the jury was unable to reach a verdict.

The football club released a statement after the verdict – but before the announcement that he would face a retrial.

It read: “Manchester City FC notes the verdict from Chester Crown Court today, where a jury has found Benjamin Mendy not guilty of seven charges.

“The jury is hung on two charges and the trial is now over.

“Given there are open matters related to this case, the club is not in a position to comment further at this time.”

Read Also: Carlos Tevez has disclosed why he has not contacted Argentina captain Lionel Messi to congratulate him.

Mendy’s retrial has now been scheduled for June 26. A pre-trial hearing will take place on January 27.

It is anticipated that the retrial will go on for two to three weeks.

Earlier, Judge Everett called the jury back into the room and questioned whether they would reach different conclusions if given more time.

The foreman of the jury replied: “No. We are at a point now where we can’t agree.”

Judge Everett told them: “It is not unusual that jurors don’t reach verdicts on some counts. You have to be true to your duty.”

Jurors were informed during a six-month trial that the left-back used his six-bedroom Cheshire property as a bait to draw young women into “toxic and dangerous” circumstances.

Read Also: Man Utd planning to activate ‘Ronaldo rule’ to avoid jealousy

Louis Saha Matturie, a co-defendant, allegedly served as Mendy’s “fixer” by persuading girls as young as 17 to attend the lockdown-busting parties following evenings spent in the VIP areas of clubs drinking £1,500 bottles of Champagne.

Some of his victims said that when they arrived, their phones had been taken away, preventing them from calling for help.

Once inside, the women were allegedly treated as “disposable…used for sex then thrown to one side”.

Read Also: The prestigious award missing from Lionel Messi’s collection

But his lawyer Eleanor Laws KC told jurors to end Mendy’s “absolute hell” and acquit him.

She said claims he used his fame to attack women – with the prosecution comparing him to Jimmy Savile – were “utterly ridiculous”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here